quinta-feira, 25 de fevereiro de 2010

Lesson Plan

Lesson Aim: Consolidate the use of the 1st and 2nd conditional

ü

Lesson Duration: 1h

Group details: Age___17-18___ Number of students ____20___ Level Intermediate_______________

ü

time

Student activity

Teacher activity

10

Warmer

SS take 2 minutes to read the dialogue.

ü

The student play the role of Joao and ask him: Why don’t you use your teeth?

Writes a short dialogue on the board.

Roberto- I can’t open this bottle.

João- Why don’t you use your teeth?

R- I’ll break them if I do that.

J- You could place the cap over a hard edge and hit it.

R- If I hit it with my hand I’ll hurt myself.

Suzy- What about if we had a bottle opener?

R- Yes! If we had a bottle opener, I’d open it quickly.

T takes a bottle of soft drink and plays the role of Roberto.

He mimes opening the bottle and says: I can’t open this bottle.

T responds to the question by saying: - I’ll break them if I do that.

T underlines the sentences and emphasizes the conditional forms

ü

20

Presentation stage

SS observe and analyse the pictures

This is a car.

- If I win a car, I will participate in the automobile racing.

- If Mario buys a ball, he will play football.

ü

SS observe the pictures again and respond to the questions:

If we had a building we would live in there.

If we won a thousand millions of dollars we’d be rich.

ü

1 million.

10 million. (no “s”)

Teacher holds up some pictures and asks students to observe them.

1-

2-

Now I ask you some questions according to the 1st pictures.

What is this?

- What will you do if you win a racing car?

- Class, what do you think will Mario do if he buys a ball?

Ok. Now turn back to the second pictures and respond to the following questions:

ü

- What would you do if you had a building?

- What would you do if you won a thousand million of dollars?

ü

20

Study stage

SS pay attention to the explanation of the subject and then write it on their note books.

ü

In the first example, we form the first conditional by using:

If+Present simple, + Future (will)

- If I win a car, I will participate in the automobile racing.

Here, we express a possible condition and its probable result in the future.

Negative

If I don’t win a car, I won’t participate in the automobile racing.

Question

What will you do if you win a racing car?

ü

In the second examples we form the second conditional form by using:

If+past simple+ would

If we had a building we would live in there.

We use the 2nd conditional to express an unreal situation and its probable result. The situation or condition is improbable, impossible, imaginary,or contrary to known facts.

Negative

If we had not a building we would not live in there.

ü

Question

What would you do if you had a building?

time

Student activity

Teacher activity

15

Practice stage

The first group of students write some sentences on the cards

Have money.

Travel abroad.

Lose your ticket.

Don’t find a job

I were rich

I stopped smoking

You spoke the same langue as Peter.

ü

They give the cards to the second group.

The second group writes the questions.

· What will you do if you have money?

· What will you bring to us if you travel abroad?

· What will happen to you if you lose your ticket?

· What will you do if you don’t find a job?

· How would you be if you were rich?

· What would happen to you if you stopped smoking?

· What would you do if you were the president of your country?

ü

The third group try to respond to the questions in front of the class.

ü If i have money, I’ll buy a boat.

ü If I travel abroad I’ll bring some gift to you.

ü If I lose my tickets I won’t travel.

ü If I were rich I would be happy.

ü If I stopped smoking I’d run fast.

ü If I were the president of my country I would increase taxes.

ü

Oral practice

Teacher split the class into groups of three. and gives task to each group.

T asks the first group to write some sentences .

T goes around the groups helping them with the phrases to be formulated.

T asks the ss to formulate simple questions using the structure for questions.

ü

T asks students to pay attention to the questions and respond to them.

Be attentive to the mistakes and help the class to correct the possible ones.

Some gifts or a gift

5

Warm down/follow up

SS write the questions and answers they formulated on their notebooks.

ü

T asks students to write the correct questions and answers on the note books as to practice at home. ü

Lesson Evaluation checklist:

1. Has the learning aim been achieved?

Yes. As were able to respond to some teacher’s questions on the subject.

ü They could use the structures for the 1st and 2nd conditional quite well.

2. Were the students interested throughout?

Yes. Because they were able to create questions and answers .

3. How could the lesson have been improved?

They could use the structures for the 1st and 2nd conditional quite well

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário